If you need urgent care, your first step should be to go to the symptom checker in the Omaolo service at omaolo.fi. At Omaolo, you will get round-the-clock advice and, if necessary, access to a professional.
If you cannot use the symptom checker, contact your local health station Monday-Friday at 8.00-16.00, and at other times contact the Medical Helpdesk, tel. 116 117, before seeking emergency services. If you have already been put in touch with a professional through Omaolo, you no longer need to contact the health station or the Medical Helpline.
In the evenings and at weekends, Helsinki residents over the age of 16 are served by Malmi and Meilahti Emergency Departments. Emergency services for children under the age of 16 are available in the New Children's Hospital.
Emergency department patients in need of special health care are served with a doctor's referral round the clock at Malmi, Meilahti and the New Children's Hospital.
Psychiatric emergency services
The low-threshold mental health service unit Mieppi offers discussion support for promoting mental well-being.
In acute mental health problems, you can get help at your local health station Monday-Friday at 8.00-16.00. At other times, please call the free-of-charge Medical Helpline, tel. 116 117, before seeking emergency services.
Psychiatric emergency services are available at the Meilahti Emergency Department at Haartman Hospital.
In an emergency, call the emergency number 112.
Do you have hearing or speech impairment?
- Complete the appropriate symptom assessment in the Omaolo service .
- Call the health station on a weekday with the help of an interpreter. The number of the switchboard is +358 9 310 5015.
- Use the health station’s services in the Maisa digital portal .
- If the situation is urgent, you can contact health services via the text service of the Medical Helpline at www.116117.fi/fi/Helsinki -> Avaa tekstipalvelu. Alternatively, go to emergency services.
- In case of a life-threatening situation, send a text message to the emergency number 112.