There are periodic delays in Helsinki Transport Service. Check the instructions on what to do if you need a transport soon and have to queue for our customer service for over 15 minutes or if your transport is more than 15 minutes late.

See the instructions on the How to order or cancel transtport-page(Link leads to external service)

Transport support for the elderly

You can apply for transport support if you cannot use public transport due to reduced functional capacity caused by ageing.

On this page

Transport support is a service in accordance with the Social Welfare Act intended to support independent living.

We will assess your situation and eligibility for transport support.

You can receive support for transport if, for example:

- your functional capacity is impaired and you have difficulty using public transport alone or with an accompanying person

- you have a memory disorder that makes it more difficult to use public transport

- your income or assets do not exceed the limit defined for the service.

If you are granted transport support, you can use six one-way trips per month for errands and recreational trips.

You can travel in Helsinki, from Helsinki to nearby municipalities and in nearby municipalities (Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa and Sipoo). You will get a payment card, which you always need to take with you when using the transport service. You can order transport from the Helsingin Matkapalvelu transport service dispatch centre. You will receive monthly invoices for the co-payments corresponding to the trips.

The driver can assist you if you need help getting from your home to the vehicle or from the vehicle to your destination. In this case, the transport service decision includes the assistance provided by the driver.

Transport support is only intended for errands and recreational trips. For trips related to health care, such as visits to a doctor, laboratory or rehabilitation, you can apply for reimbursement from Kela.

Apply for transport support by filling in and printing out the transport service application. You will need to attach to the application a statement of income and assets and a medical certificate, which you can get, for example, from your own health station. Send the application and attachments by paper mail to the Social Work for People with Disabilities service point in your service area.

Am I eligible for transport support?

Your income and assets affect whether you can be granted transport support. You can receive transport support if your income and assets do not exceed the set upper income and asset limits.

Income limits  


  • EUR 1,689/month for a one-person household  
  • EUR 3,117/month for a two-person household

Asset limits  


  • Account savings in a one-person household of EUR 5,000  
  • Account savings in a two-person household of EUR 7,000 
  • Other assets totalling EUR 25,000 per household

The applicant’s permanent residence is not included in the assets.

How do I apply for transport support?

  1. Fill out and print an application for transport services

    If you don't have a printer at home, you can print the application form and attachments at the nearest service centre or library.

    Go to application for transport services (pdf-form in Finnish opens in a new tab)

  2. Fill out and print an income and asset statement

  3. Get a medical certificate from your local health station

  4. Send the application and attachments by paper mail to the Social Work for People with Disabilities service point in your service area

    You can find the contact information of the service points on the webpage of Disability services > Social work under 'How can I find the service point of Social Work for People with Disabilities in my service area? -> Clients over 18 years of age'.

    Go to the Social work webpage