Hietaranta beach is the most popular beach in Helsinki, especially in warm weather. The full length of the beach is monitored, and the swimming area is marked with red and yellow flags and buoys. Sudden drops in the swimming area are indicated by yellow warning signs. The main building located in the middle of the beach has toilets, changing rooms, a restaurant and a watch tower. There is also an outdoor shower, toilets, a volleyball net and an outdoor gym on the left side of the main building. Both ends of the beach have smoking spots and lanes for non-motorised waterborne traffic. Lifeguards are on call in the watch tower and on the stands on either side of the beach. The beach is monitored throughout the swimming season. Blue algae and temperature observations on the beach are updated daily in summer time by lifeguards.
Period 5.6. - 13.8.2023:
- Mon-Sun 10.00-20.00
+358 9 310 21416, +358 40 670 0176
Lifeguard on duty
Services: cabin, toilet, shower, shower wheelchair basketball ground, Beach-volley ground, weightlifting area, Café Bistro Badenbaden.
Accessibility: The beach is accessible when the beach has lifeguard supervision. A carpet is spread out for wheelchairs and there is also a floating bating chair on the beach. These are available on request from the lifeguards.
Swimming water quality
The route to the outdoor sports area
- There are no accessible parking spaces near the beach. The nearest parking area is within 50 metres.
- The pick-up and drop-off area is located under 20 m from the beach.
- A smooth and sufficiently wide asphalted route leads to the beach. The route is illuminated.
- There is a steep slope on the passage.
- The passage has at least 4 steps with handrails on one side.
- The route has a ramp under 6 m long, with handrails on both sides.
Outdoor sports area
- There are many entrances to the beach.
- The beach has an information board, with a soft walkway leading to it. The information board can also be looked at up close. The board has a map of the area.
- The beach is guarded by a beach guard.
- There is an outdoor shower on the beach that is located on the sand. The shower has a treshold over 2 cm high..
Dressing room, shower room and sauna
- There are men's/women's dressing rooms on the beach. The dressing room entrance is difficult to perceive at a distance. The passage to the dressing room is smooth and sufficiently wide.
- The dressing room entrance has at least 4 steps with handrails on one side.
- The dressing room entrance has a ramp under 6 m long, with handrails on both sides.
- The dressing room door is heavy or otherwise hard to open. The doorway has a high threshold.
- The dressing room features a dressing bench and sufficient room for a wheelchair and assistant. Good illumination and clear contrasts facilitate spatial perception.
- The shower room is connected to the men's/women's dressing room. The door to the shower room opens easily manually. The doorway has a low threshold.