The Cooperation Group’s activities are based on the cooperation agreement between the metropolitan areas of Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa and Kauniainen. The agreement was renewed during the 2017–2021 council term, and it is valid indefinitely.
Cooperation in the region aims to:
- improve the international competitiveness of the Helsinki Metropolitan Area
- develop cooperation and metropolitan policy in the Helsinki region
- promote joint advocacy work at the national level
- promote cooperation between cities on land use, housing and transport issues
- improve and enhance city services together
- coordinate corporate governance of joint entities.
The Cooperation Group deals with key cooperation issues. The chair is the Mayor of Helsinki. The Cooperation Group meets as required, at least twice a year.