An overhaul of the Hel.fi website is currently underway and will be completed in stages over the course of 2021–2023.
This accessibility statement only concerns the overhauled part of the main City of Helsinki website. Services operating under other domains and the part of the Hel.fi service yet to be overhauled have separate accessibility statements.
Objective of the City of Helsinki
With regard to the accessibility of its digital services, the City of Helsinki’s objective is to achieve the AA level or higher, as defined in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
State of the Hel.fi service’s accessibility
This website complies with the statutory accessibility requirements at the AA level of WCAG 2.1 but includes the following shortcomings.
Non-accessible content, observed shortcomings
The content specified below does not meet all statutory accessibility requirements.
- Some pages feature links that have the same description but direct the user to different addresses. (WCAG 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context))
- The descriptions of some of the links and buttons are not sufficiently descriptive. (WCAG 2.4.6 Heading and Labels)
- The location search function’s results may display a ‘Show more’ button. Activating the button expands the results listed and causes the button to disappear, but the focus does not jump to the start of the new results correctly. (WCAG 2.4.3 Focus Order)
- Performing a location search may cause a loading animation to be displayed if the search takes longer. Assistive technology is not informed that loading is in process and that the results have not yet been displayed. (WCAG 4.1.3 Status Messages)
The service features embedded maps that are non-accessible. The plan is to hide the embedded maps from assistive technology in the future, as the information they provide is also available in an accessible form. (WCAG 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum), WCAG 1.4.11 Non-text Contrast, WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard, WCAG 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value).
- The website’s search function is activated when the user selects a search term or changes the filter settings. (WCAG 3.2.2 On Input)
- The website features texts in different languages that have not been assigned a lang attribute or translated into the corresponding language. (WCAG 3.1.2 Language of Parts)
- The structure of the search page is not marked technically. (WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships)
- The current page of the search results’ pagination component is not indicated technically. (WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships)
- Some of the focus elements have incomplete name and role information. (WCAG 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value)
- The pagination function of the search results page does not automatically inform the user about loading a new page. (WCAG 4.1.3 Status Messages)• Some of the website buttons lack a visible focus. (WCAG 2.4.7 Focus Visible)
- The link text for search results is long, as it contains the entire content of the card. The link text may make it difficult to understand where the link leads. (WCAG 2.4.6 Headings and Labels)
- The breadcrumb trails and categories accompanying search results are not technically separated from ordinary text paragraphs. (WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships)
- The language set for the search results page does not match the page language. (WCAG 3.1.1 Language of Page)
- Some of the tables on the website cannot be scrolled with the keyboard. (WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard)
- The web pages of some of the City of Helsinki’s service units (daycare centres, schools, general upper secondary schools) show the service unit’s name in a language other than the language used on the pages. An accessible name may be conveyed to assistive technology in the wrong language. (WCAG 3.1.2 Language of Parts)
The City of Helsinki is continuously taking action to correct the shortcomings observed in accessibility. The city will update the list of accessibility shortcomings presented in this statement as shortcomings are corrected.
The Hel.fi website is being overhauled section by section
The Hel.fi website is being overhauled in stages. The process will run from 2021 to 2023. During the transition period, both the old and the new websites are available. This accessibility statement only applies to the overhauled parts of the website. Find the accessibility statement for the old Hel.fi here.
The accessibility requirements do not apply to all content
The service contains videos that lack captions and audio descriptions. The law states that video content published before 23 September 2020 does not need to be rendered accessible or removed from the site retroactively (WCAG 1.2.2., WCAG 1.2.5).
The service includes maps that are not accessible to all users. The law does not require map content to be accessible, but essential guiding content must be available as written text, for example.
Did you notice shortcomings in accessibility?
We are constantly striving to improve the accessibility of the online service. If you encounter issues that are not described on this page, please report them to us and we will do our best to rectify them.
Provide feedback via this online form (palautteet.hel.fi(Link leads to external service)) or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org(Link opens default mail program).
You can also use the feedback channel to request accessible information on the content of the Hel.fi website.
Requesting information in an accessible format
If you feel that the website’s content is not available in an accessible format, you can request information by using the feedback form at palautteet.hel.fi(Link leads to external service). We will try to respond to your request within a reasonable time.
The Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland monitors compliance with the applicable accessibility requirements. If you are dissatisfied with a response or do not receive one within two weeks, you can submit your feedback to the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland.
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility Supervision Unit
www.saavutettavuusvaatimukset.fi(Link leads to external service)
email@example.com(Link opens default mail program)
Telephone exchange number +358 295 016 000
The accessibility statement for the Hel.fi website is the responsibility of the Communications Content Production Unit of the Helsinki City Executive Office. This statement was prepared on 28 October 2022.