The party starting the construction project must agree on the time of the commencement meeting with Building Control, if the building permit requires having a meeting. The meeting must be convened before starting construction.
For all other construction work or operations subject to permit, such as earthworks before construction, a commencement notification must be made to Helsinki Building Control before starting the work, if it is not necessary to convene a commencement meeting.
The construction work may be started when:
- the permit decision concerning the construction work has become legally valid
- the site supervisor in charge has been approved
- the supervisor for plumbing and sewerage work has been approved, if necessary
- the special plans required by the permit decision have been submitted to Building Control
- the commencement meeting has been held or the commencement notification has been made.
Book a commencement meeting
Book a commencement meeting with the inspection engineer or master builder responsible for supervising construction sites in the area. Call during the telephone service hours, Mon 11.00-12.00 and Thu 10.30-12.00. You can find the contact information in the map service.
Content of the commencement meeting:
- agreeing on the inspection document procedure for the construction work
- appointing persons to inspect the work phases and construction phases
- recording other matters relating to quality assurance.
The party starting the construction project is responsible for appointing the responsible persons.
Required attendees at the commencement meeting:
- Building Control representative
- party starting the construction project or the party's representative
- principal designer of the building
- site supervisor in charge.
Book an appointment for the presentation of special plans
Get hours for presenting specific plans to the inspector from Building Control Services customer service.
Special plans include for example the following:
- structural drawings and calculations
- ventilation plans
- plans for the water supply and sewerage system of the property
- ground surveys
- foundation method statements
- pile-driving and measurement records
- any statements made during the construction phase.
Building Control Services customer service
Open Mon-Fri 08:30-16
mobile call charge / local network charge
Submit special plans
Submit the special plans and sign them electronically via Lupapiste. Once you have booked a presentation time and submitted your plans to Lupapiste, please notify the inspection engineer responsible for the area by email. You can find the contact information in the map service.
When presenting special plans, follow these guidelines, for example:
- Documents must have a cover page with just one properly filled-in title page, a revision table and a location chart, if any, and sufficient space for filing notations.
- Drawing illustrations, specification texts, references to documents or a distribution table should not be extended to the cover page.
- The title should contain information about the building, the planner, the planner's qualifications and the contents of the drawing.
- If there are more than 10 plans, also include a list of drawings.
The files must be in PDF/A format.
Guidance on construction plans and surveys from the Ministry of the Environment.
Cityscape and Technical Working Group
The Cityscape Working Group of the City of Helsinki gives statements upon request and participates in preparing and assessing projects that are significant in terms of cityscape.
The working group meets every two weeks on Mondays starting at 14:00. The principal designer shall submit the presentation material to the permit processor via Lupapiste no later than three weeks prior to the meeting and the supplements to the material no later than on the Monday preceding the meeting.
In addition to the managers of the permit units of the Building Control Authority and the secretary of the working group, the working group also includes representatives from the Detailed Planning and Urban Space and Landscape Design Committees of the Urban Environment Division and the Area Development Division of the City Executive Office. The working group also includes external architect members specialised in new construction and renovation and, if necessary, other experts, such as a representative of the City Museum.
The Technical Working Group of the Building Control Authority supports the assessment work of technical solutions and gives statements on new solutions in terms of construction engineering upon request.
The working group meets every two weeks on Thursdays starting at 8:30. The designer shall submit the presentation material to the permit processor via Lupapiste no later than weeks prior to the meeting and the supplements to the material no later than on the Monday preceding the meeting.
In addition to the managers of the Structure Unit and Building Services Engineering Unit of the Building Control Authority of the City of Helsinki, the working group also includes representatives of the Helsinki Environmental Services and Rescue Department as well as three external expert members.