On this site
The earliest time you can submit an application is one year before your child needs a place. Your application will be kept in file for one year at a time. If your child needs a place in municipal early childhood education unexpectedly, you should apply for a place as soon as possible but no later than two weeks before. In this case, you are asked to prove that the need is urgent.
Apply for early childhood education on Asti online service
Guardians can apply for municipal early childhood education offered by the city for their child on the Asti online service.
Places in pre-primary education and club activities are applied for through your e-services folder on the City of Helsinki E-services.
How the process works
The application form includes instructions on how to fill in the form. Missing or incorrect information is marked in red on each page.
The application form lets you move forward once all required fields are filled in. You can save the application as a draft and edit it later. The draft will be deleted when you submit the application. After submitting the application, you can edit it until it will be locked three months before the need for the service, or sooner if your case is urgent.
The submitted application is saved in the Asti online service. The service will notify you if it is sent successfully. You can monitor the application status in the system. The status of a submitted application that is awaiting processing is Submitted. Submitted applications can be edited until the application is locked. When the processing of the application starts, the status of the application changes to In Process.
An official decision is always made regarding an application for early childhood starting from the start date of the service and, where possible, from the options proposed by the family.
The decision on the early childhood education place can be viewed electronically by the child's guardians on Asti.
You can delete your application before a decision is made. The status of a deleted application is Deleted. It is then removed from the system.
If you wish to make changes to the application during the processing time, please call the Service guidance for early childhood education.
The processing time of an application is up to 4 months, unless you indicate a later start date for the service. Applications are taken into processing about 2 months before the desired start date.
Note the fee decision folder.
Decisions on fees are delivered to another online service folder of City of Helsinki at asiointi.hel.fi to the guardian who submitted the application. They are delivered to a different system than the early childhood education decision, and you should check for the client fee decisions there.
The application is valid for 12 months from the date it was submitted.
An application for early childhood education can be submitted 12 months before the desired start date.
People living outside Helsinki can also apply for an early childhood education place, on the condition that the family must officially live in Helsinki by the beginning of the early childhood education.
Fill in an application on Asti
Application for club activities, pre-primary education and municipal daycare that supplements pre-primary education
Guardians can use this application to apply for a place in City of Helsinki club activities, pre-primary education and municipal daycare that supplements pre-primary education for their child.
How the process works
The instructions on the application form will guide you in completing the application. Any missing or incorrect information will be marked in red in the navigation pane on the left and on the summary page. The submit button will only be activated when all of the mandatory fields on the application have been completed. The application can no longer be edited after it has been submitted, but previously submitted applications can be used as a template for the applications of siblings, for example.
You can save the application as a draft and edit the draft later in your personal e-services folder. The draft will be deleted when you submit the application.
The submitted application will be saved in the applicant's e-services folder, the e-services archive system and the early childhood education and pre-primary education client information system of the Education Division. The service will notify the user when the application has been submitted successfully and provide the user with a case number that the applicant can use to monitor the status of the application in their e-services folder. The status of a submitted application waiting to be processed is sent. When the application is opened for processing, the status will change to in progress.
All decisions on application are made with the client's wishes in mind. Pre-primary education places for the coming school year are granted according to a schedule confirmed each year. Pre-primary education places for the current school year are granted as quickly as possible by the school admission area. Municipal daycare that supplements pre-primary education is granted based on normal admission criteria. Places in clubs are granted when vacancies are available in the desired unit.
Decisions are sent electronically to the guardian living at the same address as the child in their personal e-services folder, if they have a folder. Decisions are also sent electronically to the guardian not living at the same address as the child, if the guardians are co-guardians and the co-guardian has a personal e-services folder.
Fee decisions will be sent electronically to the personal e-services folder of the guardian whose details have been provided to the Client Fee Unit as the person responsible for the fees.
The application can be deleted before the decision is made by contacting the Service guidance. The status of a deleted application is cancelled.
Any changes to the application during the processing stage must be reported to the Service guidance by telephone.
The processing time of the application is a maximum of four months, unless the applicant provides a later date for the start of the service. The processing of the application starts approximately two
The application is valid for one year from the date of submission.
The application can be submitted one year prior to the desired start date of the care services, at the earliest.
Guardians living outside Helsinki can also submit applications. A requirement for receiving the service is that the family's place of residence is in Helsinki at the time of the service starting.
Applying for early childhood education with paper application
You can use the paper form to apply for early childhood education if you or your family do not have Finnish personal identity codes or online banking credentials, you and your family are unable to apply online for other reasons, or a member of your family has a non-disclosure for personal safety reasons.
Return the paper application primarily by post to the following address: Service guidance for early childhood education, Töysänkatu 2 D, PO Box 51300, 00099 City of Helsinki. We also accept paper applications at playgrounds (except playgrounds Seppä, Loru and Santahamina).
Applying with paper application
Instructions for guardians: How to apply for an early childhood education place on Asti
Instructions for guardians: How to apply for an early childhood education place on Asti.
Grounds for getting a place in early childhood education
Places in early childhood education are allocated based on the criteria laid down by the Education Sub-Committee (PDF in Finnish, opens in a new tab).
- Whenever possible, your child is allocated an early childhood education place based on your first choice.
- Your child is allocated a place at a daycare centre or early childhood education unit close to your home, taking into account the places available. We also consider the start date on which your child needs the service. When processing applications, we view the applicants’ start dates in two-week batches, respecting the statutory four-month period within which a place must be allocated.
- We also take into account the extent of the need for care, i.e. the number of care hours you need for your child when allocating places. If there are more applicants for a childcare location than there are places:
- Places are primarily allocated to those who have a sibling in the same daycare centre or childcare unit. The sibling principle concerns those who have a sibling in early childhood education, but not in pre-primary education.
- If the applicants have the same start date and the sibling criterion is met, the place will be allocated to the child who lives closest to the location according to the HSL route guide.
- Your start date of the service affects the allocation of places.
What happens after I have submitted my application?
You will receive the decision roughly a month before your child needs a place in early childhood education. Early childhood education and the related invoicing will begin on the date stated in the decision. If you have submitted your application via Asti, we will send the decision to your online service folder in Asti. If you have submitted your application via the City of Helsinki’s e-services, we will send the decision to you in the City of Helsinki’s E-services. If you have submitted your application on a paper, we will send the decision to you by post.
If your child’s early childhood education starts in August, you will receive the decision in June.
If you are not happy with the place allocated to your child, you can apply for a transfer to another early childhood education location on Asti .
Accept the place if
- your child will start in early childhood education as stated in the decision
- there were not free places for your child in the early childhood education location you preferred, and the need for care starts on the date you have stated. After accepting the place, you can submit a transfer application to the location you prefer.
- you wish to make a claim for rectification (Find instructions for claim for rectification in the decision).
Do not accept the place if
- you do not need the early childhood education place granted to your child and stated in the decision. If necessary, you can submit a new application and your application will be processed according to the four-month legal basis.
If the family is unhappy with the place in early childhood education, you should let us know in one week’s time from receiving the decision.
- Accept an early childhood education place on the Asti online service or by contacting the daycare centre manager if you received the decision in paper. If you do not accept the offered place, let us know on the Asti online service as soon as possible, and no later than two weeks before the start of the service.
Early childhood education and the related invoicing will begin on the date stated in the decision. If you do not accept a place offered to you, let us know via the Asti online service as soon as possible and no later than two weeks before the start of your child’s early childhood education. For an uncancelled place, we will charge half of the monthly early childhood education fee, and the decision on early childhood education will expire a week from the start date.
You can submit a new application for an early childhood education place. This will start a new processing period of up to four months.
Guide to early childhood education and care
- Guide to early childhood education and care ENG, pdf (opens in new tab)
- Varhaiskasvatus tutuksi FI , pdf (aukeaa uuteen välilehteen)
- Bekanta dig med småbarnspedagogiken SVE, pdf (öppnas i en ny flik)
- Koolieelse kasvatusega tuttavaks EST, pdf (avaneb uuel vahelehel)
- Se familiariser avec les services de l’éducation précoce FRA pdf (s'ouvre dans un nouvel onglet)
- Знакомьтесь: система дошкольного воспитания RUS, pdf (открывается в новой вкладке)
- Довідник з дошкільного виховання UKR, pdf (відкривається в новій вкладці)
- Baro barbaarin-horaadka SO, pdf (ku furmay tab cusub)
- 了解早教 CH, pdf (opens in new tab)
- بۆ ئاشنابوون بە پەروەردەیتەمەنی ساوایی SORA, pdf (opens in new tab)
- التعريف بالتربية المبكرة ARA pdf (يفتح في علامة تبويب جديدة)
- با تعلیم و تربیت خردسالانآشنا شوید FARSI, pdf (opens in new tab)