Skip to main content

Information on right-of-occupancy housing

A right-of-occupancy dwelling is suitable for people of all ages and for different life situations. You can apply for a right-of-occupancy dwelling:

  • when you are of age;
  • when you do not have the funds to purchase an owner-occupied dwelling meeting your needs in the same area. However, your assets will not be taken into account if you are over 55 years old or when you are changing from one right-of-occupancy dwelling to another.
  • if you have a right-of-occupancy queue number.

Wealth limit

If you have enough assets to finance at least 50% of the current free price of the right-of-occupancy dwelling you are applying for or to renovate your owner-occupied dwelling in the application area to match the one you are applying for, you will, unfortunately, not be able to receive a right-of-occupancy dwelling.

The wealth limit is dwelling-specific. In the Helsinki region, the wealth limit is calculated based on Statistics Finland’s quarterly appendix tables on old dwellings’ debt-free prices per square metre. The calculation uses a regional division, where Helsinki is divided into four districts by postal code area based on how high the price level is. The wealth limit is obtained by multiplying a corresponding right-of-occupancy dwelling’s price per square meter in the price level district in question by the number of square metres in the dwelling applied for and dividing the result by two.

In the case of new builds, the right-of-occupancy fee, which is 15% of the dwelling’s value, can be used to calculate the wealth limit.

Once you apply for a right-of-occupancy dwelling, the right-of-occupancy company will ask you to submit the statement of your assets (pdf). The company will submit your statement to the city, and the city will check whether you meet the conditions to receive a right-of-occupancy dwelling.

Search area

Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa have formed a joint application area since the implementation of the system. Hyvinkää, Järvenpää, Kirkkonummi, Nurmijärvi, Mäntsälä, Sipoo, Tuusula and Vihti joined the joint application area on 1 January 2015. Kerava joined on 1 January 2016 and Porvoo on 1 July 2017.

Queue numbers applied for after 1 January 2015 (181630 or higher) can be used to apply for a dwelling in any municipality in the joint application area. Any queue number applied for before the joint application area system is only valid in the municipality in which it was applied for. 

Frequently asked questions

Submit a queue number application on the webpage Applying for right-of-occupancy housing  .


a) Log in to the electronic services by using your online banking credentials. You will also find your queue number on page 1 of your right-of-occupancy queue number application form. Also see the instructions for reviewing your queue number (pdf in Finnish)

b) Check your valid queue numbers by signing in on the online form   with your online banking credentials.

c) Call the right-of-occupancy customer service number (09) 310 13032, Monday to Thursday, 9–11.


Your queue number is valid until 31 December 2023. Once you receive a right-of-occupancy dwelling with your queue number, the number will no longer be valid.

You will lose your queue number if you decline a housing offer you have already accepted for a third time after the company has sent a proposal of the acceptance of your right-of-occupancy to the city. You will also be considered to have declined the offer if the company has reserved the dwelling for you and you ignore their requests to contact them or fail to provide them with the requested additional statements. If you lose your queue number, you can apply for a new one.


No, you cannot. Queue numbers are personal and cannot be transferred.


If you have a right-of-occupancy dwelling, you can transfer the right-of-occupancy to your spouse, a direct descendant or an ascending relative, or to such family member who is permanently living in the dwelling at the time of transfer. You must have lived in the dwelling for at least two years to be able to transfer your right-of-occupancy.


You can change right-of-occupancy dwellings, but it requires that you have a valid queue number. You can either apply for vacant right-of-occupancy dwellings directly from a housing company or personally find a right-of-occupancy holder willing to switch with you. If you make a dwelling swap, you will not need a new queue number. The swap will take place with the same queue number you used to receive your current right-of-occupancy dwelling.