The western side of the street will become a worksite following the changes to the traffic arrangements. Cars will have one driving lane in each direction. The pedestrian and cycling route on the western side of the street will remain in use, as will the passageways to the adjacent properties.
The traffic arrangement change work will begin in the evening of Thursday 16 November and be completed on Friday 17 November.
The project will also involve smaller changes to the traffic arrangements:
- Access from Kivelänkatu and Dunckerinkatu to Mannerheimintie and vice versa will be blocked due to the work at least until the end of the year.
- The Hesperianpuisto bus stops will be moved slightly.
- The stop for buses heading north will be moved roughly 80 m south, to the southern side of the Dunckerinkatu crossing.
- The stop for buses heading south will be moved roughly 70 m north, by Hesperia Esplanade.
- Pedestrians will be able to access the stops via the nearest crossings, which will be located by Dunckerinkatu and Hesperiankatu, according to the preliminary plan.
Street work making progress on schedule
Construction has been making good progress at the renovation worksite.
“Our workers are keeping a brisk pace at the worksite and we are on schedule, even though we had some hindrances in the spring. In terms of the first phase of the renovation project, we have already installed 80% of the tram tracks. Only the section between Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu and Arkadiankatu is yet to be installed, and we will get to that once the bridge over the Baana route has been repaired. Also, we have already installed 80% of the sewer and water pipes,” says Project Director Antti-Juhani Lehtinen from the City of Helsinki.
Renovation project to continue over the winter
The construction of the water supply and underground municipal infrastructure will continue throughout the winter, as will the work on the bridge over the Baana route. Concrete has already been cast in the eastern section of the bridge.
By contrast, the tramway track work, paving work and surface structure construction work will continue until winter arrives and then be suspended until spring when the weather gets warmer.