Helsinki’s participation in the Eurocities network aims to:
• increase Helsinki’s visibility among European cities and EU institutions
• network and build partnerships to promote strategic projects
• share knowledge and develop the skills of city personnel, and
• influence EU decision-making.
In 2022, Helsinki will chair the Eurocities Economic Forum, where the network’s strategic actions will focus on the following themes:
1. Digitalisation and technology for people: bringing together the potential of cities to create technological sovereignty in Europe,
2. Ecological crisis and the recovery: developing cooperation between European cities to form high-impact public-private partnerships to create local solutions to the environmental crisis, and
3. Post-pandemic sustainable tourism: re-launching the European tourist industry, with the aim of developing more sustainable practices and infrastructure.
The Economic Forum has three approaches to achieving the objectives: EU urban policy; an instrument for EU recovery; lifelong learning, skills and employment.