The English edition of the Statistical Yearbook of Helsinki provides a varied, statistics-based description of the city and its residents. Many of the tables also present comparative data from the rest of the Helsinki Metropolitan Area, the Helsinki Region and Finland as a whole. Moreover, the yearbook contains a chapter on major cities in the rest of Scandinavia and another on Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius and St Petersburg.
The 2018 edition of the book is the 106th. The statistical tables are also available as open data on the Helsinki Region Infoshare service.
These are some of the facts provided in the yearbook:
- The population of Helsinki was 643,272 at the turn of 2017/2018. The population had increased by 8,091 persons, or 1.3 per cent, compared to a year earlier.
- In 2017, Helsinki-Vantaa airport had a total of 89,459 landings. Thus, every sixth minute of the year, on average, a plane landed on the airport.
- At year-end 2017, there were 361,866 dwellings in Helsinki – 4,891 more than a year earlier. 46.9 per cent were rented dwellings, 41.6 per cent owner-occupied dwellings.
- In 2017, a total of 14.1 loans per capita were made at Helsinki City Library’s outlets. Of loans, 79.5 per cent were books, and of all books borrowed, almost 40 per cent were children’s books.
- Altogether 37,090 persons were employed by the City of Helsinki at the end of 2017. By far the largest sectors were the social and health services, with a total of 14,699 people on their payrolls.
- The most popular tourist attraction in Helsinki was Linnanmäki Amusement Park with no less than 1,100,000 visitors in 2017. The top attractions also include Suomenlinna fortress, Temppeliaukio bedrock church, Helsinki Cathedral, Uspenski Cathedral and, on Korkeasaari island, Helsinki Zoo.
Statistics and Information Services Manager Ari Jaakola, +358 9 310 43608, ari.jaakola(at)hel.fi
Statistical Yearbook of Helsinki 2018, English abridged edition, pdf-publication.