The English edition of the Statistical Yearbook of Helsinki provides a varied, statistics-based description of the city and its residents. The yearbook does also comprise data on the neighbouring cities, the Helsinki region, Finland, major Nordic cities, the Baltic countries and their capitals, and on St. Petersburg.
The Statistical Yearbook of Helsinki appears now for the 107th time. The whole yearbook can be accessed here.
These are some of the facts provided in the yearbook:
- The population of Helsinki amounted to 648,042 at the turn of the year 2018/2019. Compared with the previous year, the population grew by 4,770 residents, that is to say by 0.7 per cent.
- Helsinki Vantaa Airport recorded a total of 94,007 aircraft landings in 2018. There were more than 20 million passengers. All year round, the average frequency of aircraft landings was about one plane every six minutes.
- A total of 14 loans per capita were made at the Helsinki City libraries in 2018. Books comprised 83.1 per cent of the loans. Almost 40 per cent of all book loans were children’s books.
- At year-end 2018, the City of Helsinki had in all 37,656 employees. By far the largest sectors were the social and health services, with a total of 14,729 people on their payrolls.
- The most popular tourist attraction in Helsinki in 2018 was Linnanmäki Amusement Park, with no less than 1.1 million visitors. The most popular attractions also included Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, Temppeliaukio Church, Helsinki Cathedral, Uspenski Cathedral and Helsinki Zoo.
The Statistical Yearbook is published by the City Executive Office’s Urban Research and Statistics Unit.
Statistical Yearbook of Helsinki 2019, English abridged edition, pdf-publication
Ari Jaakkola, head of the statistics and information services,
phone +358 (0)9 310 43608,