The construction of the Raide-Jokeri light rail line will start on Monday, 3 June, and will proceed at multiple locations in Helsinki and Espoo during the summer months. Construction will start at 13 locations in June and at 9 locations in August. The impacts of the summer construction work on traffic will be announced in more detail later in May.
Preparations for the Raide-Jokeri construction are in full swing for the commencement of construction at a total of 22 locations in Helsinki and Espoo. The work will take place between 1 and 4 years to complete depending on the location. Construction will start with preparatory work, consisting of construction-time traffic arrangements and the setting up of construction-site bases. Some trees and soil will be removed from the sites of construction bases, and new water pipe connections will be built to serve the bases.
Light rail line construction to start at 13 locations in June
The light rail line construction will start on Maarintie and Ravitie in Espoo on 3 June. On Maarintie, the first work stages after the completion of temporary, construction-time traffic arrangements will consist of top soil removal, cuts (earthmoving) and base reinforcement. On Ravitie, the first work stages will consist of cuts and relocation of cables. In addition, work to bury a 110 kilovolt power cable in Laajalahti east of Ring Road I, carried out since last autumn, will continue to October.
The construction of the light rail line in Helsinki will start at 10 locations in June. The commencement of work at locations in Helsinki, the commencement dates and the first work stages after the completion of temporary traffic arrangements are as follows:
- Takkatie: to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation and cuts (earthmoving)
- Pitäjänmäentie (Pajamäentie junction): to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation and cuts (earthmoving)
- Pirkkolantie: cable relocation started in February to continue, engineering structure work to start in July
- Pirjontie: cable relocation and base reinforcement started in February to continue
- Norrtäljentie: to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation, stone paving to be removed at the Siltavoudintie traffic circle and asphalt paving to be done for a detour
- Maaherrantie: to start on 3 June 2019 with preparations for the removal of a sewer at Tulvaniitty, preparations for sewer and water pipe work at Veräjäkatu
- Bridge of Lahti motorway: to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation
- Pihlajamäentie: to start on 3 June 2019 with stone paving and street island removal as well as water pipe construction
- Viikinkaari and Viikintie traffic circle: to start on 17 June 2019 with street island removal for water pipe construction
- Viikintie: to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation and cuts (earthmoving), the construction of a new pedestrian and cycling detour
- Varikkotie and Raaseporintie: to start on 3 June 2019 with cable relocation, cuts (earthmoving) and base reinforcement
Construction to start at 9 new locations in July–August
The construction work started in June will continue in late summer, and work will start at 9 new locations. In Espoo, construction will start in July-August on Maarinrannantie, Tietotie, Konemiehentie, Linnoitustie and the new Impilahti bridge over the Turku motorway. In Helsinki, the work on Pitäjänmäentie will proceed eastward from the Pajamäentie junction. In addition, work will start on Eliel Saarisen tie at Isonnevankuja, on Viilarintie and in the Roihupelto depot area.