School-age children’s own hobbies
Helsinki offers plenty of hobbies and recreational locations. For parents, a child’s own hobbies can mean that they have some time for themselves or that they need to drive their child to the hobbies.
The Activity search page offers a comprehensive selection of hobbies for children and young people in Helsinki.
Tips for parents:
- Remember to listen to your child when choosing a hobby.
- Show interest in your child’s hobbies. New sports, games and trends are fascinating. By asking about them you can find out what your child enjoys doing.
- A hobby is supposed to be fun and stimulating: if your child does not enjoy the activity, talk to them about it. Your child values it when their voice is listened to; this is about their leisure time.
- Be careful not to overburden your child with too much to do. Sometimes, parents’ big expectations may put pressure on the child.
- A school-age child also needs time for free play and for being with their friends and family. There are many activities available that do not require an instructor or travelling.