Travelling to and from school
School journey refers to the shortest route available to pedestrians, measured from the school gate to the edge of a pupil’s home building yard using HSL’s journey planner for cycling and walking.
The City of Helsinki supports the school journeys of comprehensive school pupils. The Education Committee has defined the criteria for this support.
If the school journey of a pupil in the 1st–6th grade from home to the nearest school is at least 2 km, they will receive a HSL travel card. A travel card will also be given to a pupil, who
- is accepted to receive weighted-curriculum education through an aptitude test at a school other than their nearest one,
- selects an A language in 3rd grade not taught at their nearest school,
- takes part in learning their own language at another school, at least 2 km from their own school
- is in a special class, with a school trip of at least 2 km
If the school trip of a pupil in the 7th–9th grade from home to the nearest school is at least 3 km, they will receive a HSL travel card. A travel card will also be given to a pupil, who
- is accepted to receive weighted-curriculum education through an aptitude test at a school other than their nearest one
- has selected an A language in 3rd grade not taught at their nearest school
- takes part in learning their own language at another school, at least 3 km from their own school
- is in a special class, with a school trip of at least 3 km
- begins studying English in the 7th grade (B1 English)
Travel cards can only be given to pupils living in Helsinki.
In some cases, the support can also involve special transport. This can be granted after a separate application made by the guardian, based on a statement from a psychologist, school welfare officer or physician. This transport usually involves shared taxis. A separate service description exists for the special transports.
Private schools are in charge of their own pupil transport. Helsinki does not assist pupils attending private schools that the City has not signed a contract with for education services.
This is how you can apply for a schoolchildren’s travel card
- Fill in and sign the pupil’s travel card application form (pdf).
You should submit your application already in the spring once you know which school your child will be enrolling in the autumn.
- Send the form by post to the school secretary of your child’s current or future school.
Alternatively, you can scan your application and send it via email (addresses are in the form email@example.com).
The school will process your application and send it to the Education Department, where the travel card decisions are made.
- You will receive the decision on the travel card by post. Information on the decision will also be sent to your child’s school. The school will acquire the travel card for your child.
- The child will need to pick up their travel card from the school secretary on their first day of school.
The applications will be processed within approximately two weeks. At the beginning of the autumn term, the processing may take longer due to the large number of applications.
Please send any questions you have regarding school transport to koulukuljetukset(at)edu.hel.fi.
Turvallisesti koulutielle -esite, Liikenneturva