Illnesses and conditions that expose to severe COVID-19
The vaccinations for risk group 2 have started. This group includes people who have turned 16 years and older whose illness or condition expose them to the severe form of COVID-19. A vaccination appointment can be booked at bookcovidvaccine.fi and on the number 09 310 46300 on weekdays 8-18.
Check the list below to see if you belong in this group based on your illness or condition.
- Asthma requiring continuous medication
- Severe heart disease, including heart failure (but not just hypertension)
- Neurological illness or condition that affects breathing
- Immunosuppressive medication for autoimmune disease
- Severe chronic liver disease
- Type 1 diabetes or adrenal insufficiency
- Sleep apnoea
- Psychotic disorder
- Morbid obesity (body mass index of 40 or above)
Research data about the risk factors for the severe form of COVID-19 can be found in the description of each illness or condition on the page for the vaccination order.
1. Asthma requiring continuous medication
This group includes asthma patients on continuous medication.
2. Severe heart disease, including heart failure (but not just hypertension)
This group’s illnesses include heart failure, pulmonary heart disease, pulmonary vascular diseases, cardiomyopathy and coronary artery disease, as well as heart and kidney damage due to hypertension.
However, the group does not include people with only an atrial fibrillation in treatment, people with only a hypertension in therapeutic equilibrium or people with a mild valvular heart disease.
3. Neurological illness or condition that affects breathing
This group includes persons with e.g. the following illnesses and conditions when they affect breathing: stroke, cerebral haemorrhage, respiratory paralysis, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), neuromuscular junction and muscular diseases, cerebral palsy (CP) and other stroke syndromes that affect breathing.
4. Immunosuppressive medication for autoimmune disease
This group includes persons with e.g. ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease and psoriasis, if the disease is treated with glucocorticoid tablets taken by mouth or other immunosuppressive medication (cytostatic treatment, biological medication and other similar medication, such as ciclosporin, mycophenolate, azathioprine, methotrexate, tacrolimus).
5. Severe chronic liver disease
This group includes persons with e.g. liver failure, fibrosis and cirrhosis of the liver.
6. Type 1 diabetes or adrenal insufficiency
This group includes persons with insulin-treated type 1 diabetes and adrenal insufficiency.
7. Sleep apnoea
This group includes persons diagnosed with a moderate to severe sleep apnoea disease. A person has moderate sleep apnoea when there are over 15 breathing interruptions or episodes of hypopnea per hour. A person has severe sleep apnoea when there are over 30 breathing interruptions or episodes of hypopnea per hour.
8. Psychotic disorder
This group includes persons with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia, schizotypal disorder, delusional disorders and schizoaffective disorder. The group also includes persons with other types of mental disorders treated with clozapine.
9. Morbid obesity (body mass index of 40 or above)
This group includes persons whose body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher.