During the pre-year, students are expected to pass a minimum of 25 courses. This means that the average minimum workload is five courses/term.
All of the compulsory pre-year courses listed below must be completed.
Subject - Number of compulsory courses
- Finnish* - 3 (4 for students planning to choose DP Finnish A literature)
- English A - 4 (5 for students not studying Finnish as a mother tongue)
- Swedish B* - 2 (5 for students taking the matriculation examination test)
- Foreign languages* - Compulsory for those students who choose French, German ab initio or Finnish B in DP: French 1 course, German 1 course, Finnish 3 courses.
- Economics 1
- History - 1 (2 for students planning to choose DP History)
- Psychology - 1
- Biology - 1 (2 for students planning to choose DP Biology/ESS)
- Chemistry - 1 (2 for students planning to choose DP Chemistry)
- Physics - 1 (2 for students planning to choose DP Physics)
- Mathematics - 4 (5 for students planning to choose DP HL Math)
- Lab science course - 1
TOTAL: 23-30 courses
*Finnish, Swedish and French are not compulsory for students who have no previous studies in them.
All of the above-mentioned compulsory courses must be studied during the pre-DP year. In addition, students choose other courses so that their total is at least 25 courses.
Extra subjects particularly recommended for study include Physical Education, Music, Art and foreign languages. Please note that the courses taught in the national section are taught in Finnish!
The first 2 Swedish courses are compulsory for students who have previously studied Swedish. However, we recommend that students take all 5 Swedish courses on offer, which will make it possible, for those who so wish, to take the Swedish test of the Finnish matriculation examination during their second year.
Course 1 in subjects Physics, Chemistry and History is compulsory. Those who are planning to continue with these subjects in the DP must also take the 2nd course (prePHY2, preCH2, preHI2). Students are encouraged to take these optional courses even if they don’t plan to continue with the subject.
Course 1 in Biology is compulsory. Those who are planning to study Biology or ESS in the DP must take preBI2. Students are encouraged to take this optional course even if they don’t plan to continue with these subjects.