Skip to content

Changing Ara apartments

If your housing needs have changed and you have lived in an Ara apartment for at least one year, you can apply for a change. 

There are two ways to make the change: 

  1. You can apply for a change to an apartment that is becoming available by filling in a housing application
  2. You can apply for an exchange with another tenant, in which case you need to use the apartment exchange service asunnonvaihtopörssi (in Finnish) to find an exchange partner to swap apartments with.

Conditions for changing Ara apartment include:

  • You have lived in an Ara apartment owned by the city of Helsinki for at least one year
  • You have a lease agreement that is valid until further notice
  • You have not received a notice or a written warning due to disruptive living or breaking the rules and regulations within the past year
  • You have no unpaid rent
  • The lessor has no other financial claims on you
  • The condition of your current apartment is acceptable

A prerequisite for an apartment change is the housing company´s approval (as stated in the statement for apartment change). You only need to request for the statement once you have received a housing offer. More information on how to apply for the statement can be found in the housing offer.


09.02.2021 11:05