Getting involved in the programme
Applications for the Re-thinking Urban Housing programme are continuously open.
To initiate the application process, please contact the programme coordinator:
Special Planner Riikka Karjalainen
City Executive Office, Economic Development and Planning Division
Tel. +358 (0)9 310 36242
riikka.karjalainen (at) hel.fi
Progress of a Re-thinking Urban Housing project:
- The project idea is created
- Coordinator of the Re-thinking Urban Housing programme is contacted
- Meeting with the programme working group and sparring
- Working group supports the project
- The project submits an application to enter the programme and also applies for a plot as necessary. The application form follows the project from start of the construction project to the finish.
- City Board’s decision on the plot
- The project is initiated and progresses in the same way as other housing construction projects
- The project is included in the regional working group
- The project is completed
- Final reporting and follow-up. The final report describes the construction process, its challenges and successes in terms of the development idea. As an example, the follow-up report(s) can describe the experiences of residents once a specific length of time has passed after completion.
A project can also progress through another channel: the city can organise a competition around the desired development theme. This was done in the context of the Yhteistyöllä kohtuuhintaisuuteen (Reasonable prices through cooperation) competition, for example, as a result of which two affordable blocks of flats are under construction in different parts of the city.