1. Merchants may enter a pre-paid/rented flea market stall no earlier than 7:00 am on weekdays and Saturdays, and no earlier than 9:00 am on Sundays. New stalls can be rented at Hietalahti Market Hall on weekdays from 9 am. On Sundays, the market place supervisor rents out free stalls for the day.
2. Merchants must leave the marketplace each day a half an hour after expiry of the sales hours at the latest.
3. A person is allowed to lease a stall or assist at a stall leased by another person no more than five times a month between 1 June and 31 August, and the number of leases may not exceed 30 during the calendar year. The stall is for personal use only. A person must be at least 16 years old and hold a Finnish social security number for the booking.
4. Flea market stalls are only intended for selling second-hand items. Merchants are not permitted to purchase products from customers or other flea market merchants at Hietalahti Flea Market for the purpose of putting the products on sale at the flea market during the same sales week. It is prohibited to sell new products, flowers, food products or animals at the flea market. Articles of precious metals can only be kept on sale under the terms laid down in the Act on Articles of Precious Metals (No. 1029/1 Dec 2000 and Decree No. 1148/2000).
5. It is absolutely prohibited to sell pornographic products at the flea market.
6. All products on sale must be items that have been in the use of the licence holder or family members belonging to his/her household.
7. The market place supervisors have the right to demand removal of products that do not fulfil the above terms. The said products must be removed from the place of sale immediately. In exceptional cases, the representative of Helsinki Wholesale Market (Palmia’s market place supervisor) can issue a licence for the sale of new articles. The licence is only issued to organisations, associations, etc. for the sale of unsold campaign articles.
8. The licence holder must sell products in the stall area indicated in the sales licence. The products on sale, including tables, accessory bars/rails and other sales equipment must fit in the designated stall area.
9. Vehicles may not be parked in the market place area for purposes other than loading and unloading goods.
10. The sales place leased cannot be exchanged, cancelled or transferred to a third party.
11. The licence holder must return the sales table to the table rack after the end of the market place sales hours.
12. The licence holder must follow the instructions and regulations issued by authorities or the representative of the City of Helsinki. They also have the right to remove merchants from the flea market if they fail to follow the instructions or regulations given or otherwise prove to be unfit to sell products at the flea market. If the licence holder fails to follow the above instructions and regulations, Helsinki Wholesale Market has the right to refuse to rent a flea market stall to him/her.
13. As the basic idea at the flea market is to recycle articles, it is forbidden to leave any unsold flea market articles in the market place area or city-owned refuse containers. Instead, the merchant must take them away from the area.
For further information, go to www.heltu.fi or dial Helsinki Wholesale Market customer service number +358 9 3102 3565.
Note! The professional sale of second-hand articles is considered business, and any sales profit is considered taxable income. Merchants must personally investigate whether their sales activities are considered business. Where requested, Helsinki Wholesale Market provides tax authorities with information on people selling articles at the flea market.