Applying to daycare
- Early childhood education services should be applied for no later than four months before the need for daycare will begin and as soon as the possible need becomes apparent, at the latest.
- The service is applied for electronically, see the instructions below.
- During the application process, an electronic service file is created for the applicant. This folder can be used to monitor the progress of the application. This is also where the applicant is notified of the placement one month before the child is due to start their early childhood education.
- The application is valid for one year.
If you apply for private early childhood education, please contact the daycare centre of your choice directly. You can search for private daycare centres by post code or browse them in alphabetical order.
Applications to municipal daycare centres, family daycare and purchased service daycare centres are filed electronically through the City of Helsinki e-Services. When you use the service for the first time, you must register and identify yourself by using bank identification.
You can only apply electronically to early childhood education if the guardian and the child both have a Finnish personal identity number.
You cannot make changes to an electronically filed
application yourself. Please contact the manager of the daycare centre that you entered as your first choice or the family day care organiser. You can find the contact details on the websites of the daycare centres and family daycare areas.
Applying using a paper form
You can apply for early childhood education by using a paper form in the following situations:
- the family members do not have Finnish personal identity numbers
- the family does not have Finnish online bank identification
- an electronic application is not possible for other reasons.
Mail the completed form or deliver it personally to the early childhood education location of your choice. Book an appointment in advance for submitting your application.