‘Journey to school’ refers to the shortest route to school used regularly by pedestrians, measured from the gate of the school yard to the border of the property of the pupil’s/student’s home. The measurement is made using the Journey Planner of Helsinki Region Transport (HSL/HRT).
A school transport subsidy may be a student travel card from Helsinki Region Transport (HSL/HRT) or special transportation.
- The student travel card is valid on weekdays from 5:30 am to 6 pm.
- For children using special transportation, two special transportation journeys are available per day.
The City of Helsinki subsidises the school transport of the pupils in the City’s comprehensive schools. Private and state schools are responsible for organising transportation for their pupils by themselves.
The subsidy is only available for pupils living in Helsinki, for one address registered in the Population Register Centre.
How to apply for the school transport subsidy:
- You should submit the application in the spring as soon as you know which school your child will be attending in the autumn.
- Fill in and sign the school transport subsidy application form for a HSL/HRT card or the application form for special transportation (forms in Finnish).
- If you are applying for a multi-use travel card for mother tongue or religion classes, the pupil’s personal timetable must be attached to the application.
- Send the application form to the school secretary of the child’s future school. The secretary will submit the form to the decision-making body.
- The applications are processed within approximately two weeks. The processing may take a bit longer at the beginning of the autumn term due to the high volume of applications.
- The decision will be posted to your home.
- The school will obtain a travel card for the pupil. The card can be collected from the school secretary.
- The transportation provider will contact the family of the child who has been deemed entitled to special transportation directly.
You can send any questions regarding school transport to koulukuljetukset(at)edu.hel.fi.