Skip to content

Starting school a year later or a year earlier

Parents or guardians can apply for their child to start school a year earlier or a year later. Applications must be submitted well in advance, so that the decisions can be made before the child's basic education starts.

Starting school a year later

A guardian of the child can apply for permission to start basic education a year later than that which is statutory. The decision is based on a psychological and, if necessary, a medical report. The basic education area manager makes the decision on starting basic education a year later.

If the the child starts school a year later, the pre-primary education will be organised at a daycare centre. When the guardian has received the decision on starting basic education year later, the guardian can apply for a pre-primary education place in a daycare centre by submitting an application to the daycare centre manager. For more information, ask your local daycare centre.

Starting school a year earlier

A child is entitled to start basic education one year earlier than what is statutory, if the child has the prerequisites to manage the studies based on psychological and, if necessary, medical reports. The guardian must acquire and pay for the required expert statement before enrolling to school.

The decision on starting basic education one year earlier is made by the area manager for basic education. Further information is provided by the local school.

You can check your local school by entering your home address or postal code on the Service Map.


14.12.2021 16:45