Skip to content

Social and health care services for undocumented people in Helsinki

Necessary health care services are offered to undocumented people much like residents of Helsinki. Anyone under the age of 18 and pregnant mothers are offered the same health care services as residents of Helsinki.

If you need health or social care services, please contact Kalasatama health and well-being centre. You can ask for help at the Immigration Unit social services, if you are worried about your means of supporting yourself, accommodation or other issues in your life.

Emergency housing for undocumented people is organised at Hermanni by the Parish Union of Helsinki. The Deaconess Foundation organises emergency housing for so-called mobile people in the Deaconess Foundation's Alppikatu quarter.

Hospital on-call sites and social and crisis emergency services are at your service in the evenings, at night and on public holidays. Please call the free-of-charge Medical helpline, tel. 116 117, before coming to the emergency clinic. The medical helpline will provide assistance with sudden health issues.

You can seek help with maternity and child health clinic services and oral health care (dental care) by contacting appointment booking.

Visiting the nurse or the doctor as well as maternity and child health clinic services are free of charge. Dental care and emergency services are subject to a charge.


The term 'undocumented person' refers to:

- a person whose asylum application has been rejected, but who has not left the country

- a person coming from a country outside the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, residing in the country without a residence permit, whose residence permit has expired, or whose entry to the country or residence therein is not lawful

- a person coming to Finland from a country outside the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, whose residence permit or visa has been granted on the condition that they have a private health insurance policy, but the policy has expired or is not sufficient (e.g. some students with a residence permit for a fixed time period)

- a EU citizen, whose temporary residence in the country is legal, but who has no insurance for illness or health care (e.g. certain Eastern European demographic groups, who have no such insurance policies in their own country of origin).

Please note! Anyone who has been registered as a resident of a Finnish municipality is eligible for services at the local service point determined by their home municipality.

Available languages:

Finnish, Swedish


Social Services and Health Care Division

Suomeksi » | På svenska » | In English