Skip to content

Instructions for people in isolation

What does isolation mean?

To restrict the spreading of coronavirus, infected people have been ordered into isolation.

The purpose of the isolation is to prevent the coronavirus from infecting other people. The isolation decision is based on the Communicable Diseases Act.

The duration of the isolation

Information on the duration of your isolation is provided in connection with the order. An infectious disease specialist will issue an isolation order and inform about the length of the isolation period, which is generally 10 days.

The isolation period is at least 10 days from the onset of the symptoms of from the test date if the person has no symptoms. There should be two asymptomatic days before the end of the isolation, i.e. the fever is gone and the other symptoms are clearly diminishing. 

If you have fever or any other clear symptoms on the ninth isolation day, please contact Helsinki Epidemiologic operations to extend the isolation, tel. 09 310 51222 (weekdays 9–15.30 and weekends 10.15–16.00). You can also leave a contact request by e-mail Please mention in the e-mail that the message is regarding isolation. Do not send personal health information by e-mail.

If you only have mild symptoms and your isolation does not need to continue but you need sick leave, please contact your health station or your occupational healthcare services.

You can continue normal life if you have not had symptoms two days before the isolation ends or after the isolation has ended. You must however still pay attention to a safe distance, good hand hygiene and face mask recommendations. 

What does isolation mean in practice?

You must practise social distancing and remain in your home.

You may not go to your place of work, school, daycare, hobbies, the shop or pharmacy, because close contact is very difficult to avoid in these places. You must not have visitors.

Primarily, you should arrange the food and medicine you need yourself, for example, with the help of acquaintances or by ordering. If no one is able to get food or medicine for you, you can contact the Social Services’ Coronavirus Helpline at 09 310 21175.

To reduce the risk of infection, you should also stay away from other people living in the same household. You should remain in a separate room when possible. Avoid physical contact, even if you are vaccinated. It is important to maintain good hand and coughing hygiene.

You must maintain an adequate safety distance even when you need to walk your dog or take out rubbish, for example.

Treating the illness

It is important to rest and drink plenty of fluids when ill. You can relieve fever and pain with over-the-counter medicine.

If you develop any serious symptoms, such as shortness of breath, and your overall condition deteriorates, call the Coronavirus Helpline, tel. 09 310 10024 (open daily 8:00–18:00).

At other times, call the Medical Helpline at 116 117. In a situation requiring immediate treatment, for example if you are experiencing sudden chest pain, call the emergency number 112.

Compensation for loss of income

You are entitled to the communicable disease allowance due to loss of income caused by the isolation. You may apply for the allowance from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela). You will be issued a decision concerning your isolation by the doctor in charge of communicable diseases in Helsinki to attach to your application. The isolation decision will be sent to you as a registered letter or secure e-mail. There is a delay of several weeks due to checking. You must file an application for a communicable disease allowance daily allowance with Kela within two months of being placed in isolation. If you receive an isolation decision later, apply in time and contact Kela after receiving the decision.

The communicable disease allowance will cover loss of income caused by absence from work, isolation or quarantine in full. An employee’s allowance is based on the wages they would have earned if they had been able to work. An entrepreneur’s allowance is based on the valid annual earned income on which their YEL or MYEL insurance contributions are based. Guardians of children under the age of 16 are entitled to sickness allowance on account of an infectious disease, if the child has been quarantined and the guardian is therefore unable to work.

Those citizens of EU Member States, EEC countries or Switzerland who are working in Finland, are eligible for communicable disease allowance even if they are not covered by Finnish health insurance.

Further information is available at

The isolation is mandatory

You must comply with the isolation order issued by a communicable disease authority. According to Finnish law, breaking quarantine or isolation is punishable as a health protection violation, even if you do not infect anyone, and carries a punishment of a fine or up to three months in prison.

See also

Coronavirus FAQ

EU Digital COVID Certificate and the COVID-19 passport can be obtained from My Kanta

Latest news on Coronavirus

Coronavirus information in different languages

13.01.2022 12:01