Do you suspect you have a coronavirus infection?
What kind of symptoms are associated with a coronavirus infection?
The symptoms of the coronavirus are similar to the flu. The symptoms are fever, cough, fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea, muscle pain, sore throat, a runny nose, shortness of breath and a loss of sense of smell and/or taste.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19
- stay at home until you feel better
- if you have mild symptoms, you do not need to get tested for COVID-19
- report your absence due to illness to your employer, school or educational institute
(many employers allow their staff to stay on sick leave without a medical certificate or with a medical certificate issued by a nurse)
If your symptoms persist or if you need a professional assessment
- Make a symptom assessment at omaolo.fi
- Ask for advice from the chatbot on www.hel.fi (the chat is live on weekdays 9.00-14.00)
If you are unable to make a symptom assessment, call the Coronavirus Helpline, tel. 09 310 10024 (available Mon-Fri 8.00-16.00).
If you are experiencing more serious symptoms, such as shortness of breath or a deteriorating general condition and are thinking about going to the emergency clinic, call the Medical Helpline, tel. 116 117.
In an emergency (for example, in case of sudden chest pain), call emergency telephone number 112.
Note! If you are at risk of suffering from severe COVID-19, read: When to get tested?
Protect yourself from the coronavirus:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth unless you have just washed your hands
- When you go out in public, maintain a safe distance from other people
Do not shake hands with others
- Wear a mask regardless of the level of vaccination protection in all indoor public spaces and on public transport where other people are present. Recommendations for the use of face masks
- Work from home, if possible
- Use a vitamin D supplement as recommended. Read more (in Finnish): HUS suosittelee D-vitamiinilisää ikääntyneille ja erityisryhmille koronavirusepidemian aikana
More informationInstructions for people with respiratory infection symptoms or coronavirus
Coronavirus home tests (Finnish institute for health and welfare)
Latest news on Coronavirus
Coronavirus information in different languages