Help prevent the spread of coronavirus: Wear a face mask
Helsinki distributes free masks to people in need
On Friday, 21 August, the City of Helsinki started handing out face masks to low-income residents at several open distribution points in city, parish and charity-administered locations. A list of distribution points is available on the city website.
The Finnish health authority recently recommended that people in most areas of Finland use masks in situations where it is difficult to avoid close contact with others, for example, on public transport. The Finnish government has mandated that municipalities must make cost-free face masks available to low-income residents accordingly.
The City of Helsinki began distributing free masks already on 19 August to people visiting customers of healthcare and social service locations in the city. Now this distribution has been expanded to several new locations, in collaboration with food aid service points and parish, NGO and third sector operations.
The Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare (THL) recommendation applies to everyone over the age of 15, and so the distribution of face masks applies to this same demographic.
Face mask distribution points in Helsinki
An up-to-date list of Helsinki distribution points and schedules can be found on the City of Helsinki’s website.
In principle, Helsinki residents are themselves responsible for using the masks as recommended. This includes purchasing the appropriate masks and other attending costs. However, no one’s financial situation should present an obstacle to complying with the recommendation. The distribution of free masks in Helsinki is based on trust; staff at the distribution points will not ask anyone for proof of their need.
The City of Helsinki is distributing free masks in cooperation with Helsinki parishes and the Finnish Red Cross. Several other charity organisations, such as the Myllypuro food distribution service and the Hursti Charitable Trust, are assisting with the effort.
Press release in russia, somali and arabic
- В Хельсинки началась выдача масок малоимущим
- Helsinki waxay bilaabaysaa inay siiso maaskarada wajiga dadka dhaqaale ahaan liita
Remember to use face masks carefully
THL recommends the use of face masks on public transport and in all situations in which close contact cannot be avoided. In addition, people in transit to and from a covid-19 test and those waiting for test results should use a mask in public, as should travellers arriving in Finland from an area still subject to border controls.
It is important to use face masks correctly, to avoid the spread of infection. Please check the THL website for instructions and a checklist for mask use.
Recommendation for citizens regarding the use of face masks (.pdf)
- Suositus kasvomaskien käyttöön
- Rekommendation till medborgarna om användning av ansiktsmask
- Recommendation for citizens regarding the use of face masks
- Рекомендация по использованию масок
- Soojeedinta isticmaalka af-shareerka ee muwaadiniinta
- توصية للمواطنين باستعمال كمامات الوجه
Wear a mask on public transport
HSL and the City of Helsinki recommends wearing a face mask on public transport. Passenger numbers are expected to increase in the autumn and it is not always possible to keep a distance of 1-2 meters from other passengers. We still recommend travelling outside the busiest times, where possible.
Customers are asked to distance themselves from other passengers at stations, stops and when onboard the vehicles. If there are seats available, sit rather than stand, but avoid sitting next to other people. If a vehicle is full, please wait for the next one.
Good hand hygiene is also being encouraged. Hand sanitizer dispensers are available at several Metro station and the Helsinki Central Railway Station. See the HSL website for more detailed safety tips and instructions.
- Together for safety: HSL recommend wearing a face mask on public transport
- Helsinki prepares for implementation of facemask recommendation
- The national health authority recommended that customers of public transport use a face mask
Recommendation: Wear a mask on public transport in different languages
- Användning av munskydd i kollektivtrafiken
- Recommendation: Wear a face mask on public transport
- Вместе — за безопасность: мы рекомендуем гигиенические маски в общественном транспорте
- Wadajir ayaan ammaanka uga shaqeynaynaa: Waxaan soojeedinaynaa in gaadiidka dadweynaha lagu dhex isticmaalo af-shareerka
- المحافظة معًا على الأمان: نُوصي باستعمال كمامات الوجه في المواصلات العامة