Winter street maintenance
The City first ploughs the main streets and streets used by public transport. Residential streets are ploughed after the busier streets.
Parked cars slow the work considerably. You can speed up the work by removing your car yourself. You can check the winter street maintenance timetable online:
The Act on the maintenance, cleaning and clearing of public areas divides responsibilities of the street maintenance between the City and private properties. The majority of responsibilities are transferred to the City in large parts of the city (so called total street maintenance responsibility). In some parts responsibilities are divided traditionally. See the map of the area boundaries.
The areas of traditional division of responsibilities (map)
Properties are responsible for the following:
- The ploughing and gritting of sidewalks is the responsibility of the properties at the sidewalks.
- Properties must also remove snow piles on sidewalks and beside sidewalks, and they must ensure that gutters and storm water inlets at curbs are not blocked.
- The winter maintenance of bus and tram stops is the responsibility of properties if the stops are on sidewalks.
- The winter maintenance of pedestrian ways structurally separated from bikeways (for example, they are separated by a line of trees or some dividing structure, or they are clearly at different levels) is also the responsibility properties.
- Properties can take snow to City-maintained snow dumping sites against a fee.
The City is responsible for the following:
- The City is responsible for the winter maintenance of roadways.
- The City is responsible for sidewalks and bus and tram stops at City-managed properties and parks. The Real Estate Department clears the sidewalks at City-managed properties, and the Public Works Department clears the sidewalks at parks.
- The City is responsible for both separated and combined bike and pedestrian ways. However, properties are responsible for pedestrian ways that are structurally separated from bikeways (for example, they are separated by a line of trees or some dividing structure, or they are clearly at different levels).
- Bus and tram stops on islands in the middle of a street are the responsibility of Helsinki City Transport HKL.
The areas of total street maintenance responsibility (map)
Street maintenance tasks have been taken over by the City. This means that the City carries out the winter maintenance of both roadways and sidewalks. However, properties must clear their driveways after streets are ploughed.
The costs for tasks that used to belong to properties are covered with maintenance fees charged by the City.
In the Östersundom district, the City is responsible for all road and street maintenance, with the exception of private roads and roads on the responsibility of road maintenance bodies or the Finnish Transport Agency.