Based on the Finnish Dog Tax Act the City of Helsinki collects dog tax on dogs held by the city residents. The tax is 50 euros.
In order to collect the tax, the Financial Management of the Helsinki city keeps a dog register. The abovementioned law also requires that the dog owner file a notice to the registry before the end of February in the year after the dog has been acquired or moved to Helsinki.
The dog owner must additionally file a notice of change if:
1. the dog is being kept permanently outside Helsinki
2. the dog has been handed over to another owner
3. the dog has died.
The notice must be given also in cases where the dog is moved to another address within Helsinki.
The dog notice and the change of address notice can be given electronically via eServices, or by filling and printing a form in MS Word format. You can find the form also at the public authorities' electronic form service. Return the form by mail or fax, please see the contact information below. The notice can also be given by telephone, tel. +358 9 310 25630.
The dog tax is determined by the place the dog is being permanently kept at the end of the year. The owner in whose possession the dog is at the end of the tax year (= calendar year) is liable for dog tax.
Dog tax is paid on dogs aged five months or more at the end of the tax year.
Dog tax is not paid:
- on dogs aged less than five months
- on a dog owned by the State of Finland or whose upkeep is paid from state funds
- on a dog used in reindeer herding
- on guide dogs of the disabled
- on dogs demonstrably trained for defence or civil defence purposes and which are committed to being handed over for these purposes
- on a dog demonstrably trained for tracing of injured deer, which is committed to being handed over for use by police authorities if necessary
- on dogs owned by members of foreign diplomatic or consular staff, their family members or private servants, if the owner is not a Finnish citizen
- on a dog which is used for purposes set out in the decree (334/71) on the use of animals in scientific experiments.
The dog tax is collected retroactively; the dog tax bills are sent to dog owners in the spring of the year after the tax year, before the end of May.
The dog tax is liable to recovery proceedings even without a judgment by a court. If the dog owner has not given the required dog notice in time, the dog tax will be assessed at double the amount.
If the dog owner has neglected to give a notice of change of keeping-place or owner, or a dog notice on a tax-free dog, a penalty of 10 euros will be charged.
Tel. +358 9 310 25630
Fax +358 9 310 25355
City of Helsinki payment management services/ dog tax
P.O. BOX 235
00099 CITY OF HELSINKI