The Helsinki Art Museum also functions as the regional art museum for Uusimaa. The regional museum actively monitors visual culture in the region and collects, archives and researches related phenomena. As part of its regional operations, the Helsinki Art Museum organises seminars, workshops, meetings, training, and information events, and provides expert assistance in matters relating to its competence area.
The museum’s experts in exhibitions, collections, inventory, deposition, lending, conservation and museum education provide direct assistance in matters relating to their fields. Questions and requests can also be sent to regional coordinator Teija Mononen, tel. +358 (0)9 310 87044, firstname.lastname[at]hel.fi.
In matters related to the development of regional operations, the promotion of visual culture or the accessibility of art-related information, the Helsinki Art Museum works in close cooperation with Kehys (the Community Relations and Development Department of the Finnish National Gallery) and other regional art museums.
In addition to its core operations, among Finnish art museums the Helsinki Art Museum is a specialist in:
• issues involving the acquisition and maintenance of public art
• museum education
• international cooperation
Municipalities in the Uusimaa region:
2. West Uusimaa: Espoo, Hanko, Ingå, Karjalohja, Karkkila, Kauniainen, Kirkkonummi, Lohja, Nummi-Pusula, Pohja, Raseborg (Karis, Pohja and Ekenäs merged into Raseborg in 2009), Sammatti, Siuntio and Vihti.
3. Central Uusimaa: Hyvinkää, Järvenpää, Kerava, Mäntsälä, Nurmijärvi, Pornainen, Tuusula and Vantaa.
4. East Uusimaa: Askola, Lapinjärvi, Liljendal, Loviisa, Myrskylä, Pernå, Porvoo, Pukkila, Ruotsinpyhtää and Sipoo.