The Kluuvi Gallery is managed by the Helsinki Art Museum. It focuses on experimental and non-commercial works of Finnish artists, offering opportunities to projects, which would be difficult to realise elsewhere in Helsinki. The City of Helsinki sponsors the Gallery financially by charging a very low lease and taking no sales commission.
Applying for exhibition space
Applications for exhibition space are accepted twice a year. Each year about 150 artists submit an application; some 15 are accepted.
The rental period is usually three weeks, including time for hanging and dismantling. The rent is 505 euros for 3 weeks (incl. VAT 23%). The Helsinki City Art Museum reserves the right to change in prices. No sales commission is charged.
The rent includes:
- cleaning and supervision
- information to the press
- photocopies of printed material connected with the exhibition
- 20-40 poster grounds (artists can also print their own posters)
- a limited number of pedestals, movable walls and other material
- also there is available equipment to show the videoinstallations
The exhibitor accounts for:
- hanging and dismantling
- transportation of the exhibits and insurance
- printing and mailing invitations
- printing and distribution of posters
- arrangements for opening ceremonies
- paid newspaper advertisements
- preparation of written material for the exhibition
Applications can be sent twice a year, either by 31st January or by 31st August. Applications postmarked on the last day of the applications period will be accepted. Applications sent by the end of January apply for the exhibitions in the spring/summer season of the next year from January to the end of June. Applications sent by the end of August apply for the exhibitions in the fall/winter season of the next year from August to the end of the year.
Applications should be informal. You should indicate the desired duration, which can be from one to three weeks. Also enclose slides or photographs of your works (also printed), your CV, plan for the show and possibly other exhibition related material. Your letter of application must include contact information and mail address, to which the application can be returned. The applications will be sent to:
Helsinki City Art Museum
(Jaakonkatu 3B, 6.krs)
P.O. Box 5400
00099 City of Helsinki