The rescue operations of the Rescue Department cover all accident categories, such as:
- Accidents involving hazardous materials
- Traffic accidents
- Natural disasters
- Subsequent damage prevention
- Water rescue operations
- Human and animal rescue operations
- Oil damages
- Medical emergency rescue operations
- Executive assistance for authorities
The service level of the Rescue Department is determined in the Service Level Decision. The State Provincial Office oversees the adequacy of the service level.
Operational level, equipment, skills and human resources of the Helsinki City Rescue Department are planned according to possible accident risk levels. With the growth and development of the city, the rescue operations unit needs to constantly update estimates and plans in order to ensure that Helsinki's resources are properly measured.