Sports Department aims at improving the quality of life and capabilities of the people in Helsinki through sports.
There is a broad range of sports services available in Helsinki throughout the year, both indoors and out. The city has about 800 sports clubs covering some 100 different sports. However, most people exercise sports on their own, outside clubs.
Key functions of the Sports Department are:
- to provide and maintain sports facilities
- to maintain outdoor recreation areas
- to arrange supervised sports activities
- to supervise boating and maintain marinas
- to develop and control fishing
- to prepare matters related to subsidies and support
- to market and provide information on sports services